About this Blog

The title of this blog, "I'm About to do My Thing," was inspired by Jill Scott's introduction to her poem "The Thickness" from her live album Experience: Jill Scott 826+. In this intro, she warns that the content to follow is "real" and proceeds to deliver a beautiful message about self-esteem in young black girls, what can influence and damage that self-esteem, and the entire village's responsibility--"it takes a village"--to elevate its children.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mommy Moment: Thinking about Mini Mo

There's a spark of magic in your eyes.
Candyland appears each time you smile.
Never thought that fairy tales came true,
But they come true when I'm near you.
You're a genie in disguise
Full of wonder and surprise...

If you're a soul head like I am, you recognize those lyrics from "Betcha By Golly Wow" by the soul group the Stylistics (also nicely covered by Prince and Phyllis Hyman). I've been singing this song to Mini Mo for months now, to the point that she can now sing along (as much as a 21-month-old can). We often sing this song together during her bath time, as we did tonight. 

During our duet, I couldn't help but look at her happy, smiling, singing face and reflect on how blessed I am to have her in my life. Those lyrics are so true for me and my baby, and it's not always easy to remember that when she's showcasing the "fiercer" of her personality traits. I wrote on this blog a while ago that I would tell you all about Mini Mo's developing personality; now we're approaching two years! Late as I am, here's a list of words I often use to describe my child:
Exhibiting "strong-willed"
  • strong-willed
  • assertive
  • diva
  • happy
  • smart
  • funny
  • silly

Exhibiting "silly" on Memorial Day

Exhibiting "happy," right after being silly with Mommy

















That was right off the top of my head, and the top three are generally the ones I use most frequently. This is a habit I want to watch out for, as it could demoralize her as she grows. The thing is: these traits are highly problematic when this toddler's antics are preventing us from making progress, whether it's getting dressed, getting fed, or getting out of the house. These antics cause us to "bump heads" sometimes--because some of these traits are exhibited by the other lady of the house (ahem).

Still, when she's not a toddler (and even while she is, kinda), these traits will represent a very strong young woman. I'm already proud of my amazing girl, but I will be so proud of this self-assured woman who knows what she wants and won't take any crap from anybody, especially some knuckle-headed boy. (That was another mommy moment. Ha ha.)

So, as I work on finding the silver linings in my child's sometimes challenging personality, it helps to think about the fact that, for me, she really is a fairy tale come true--full of wonder and lots of surprise. 

Check out the Stylistics performing "Betcha By Golly Wow" in 1975 (courtesy of YouTuber HAYASEZA0602):

1 comment:

  1. Hey M! This post made me chuckle because I have my own knuckle head/independent toddler daughter who am very proud of too. Her strong personality is very much front and center. I have no idea where she gets it from (ahem) but I am proud she seems so sure in herself. I just hope I can nurture it and keep it growing in to full bloom. A lot can happen between now and full womanhood. I don't look forward to those challenges she will face but I hope I can help learn to overcome much better than I did.

    Joanna

    ReplyDelete