About this Blog

The title of this blog, "I'm About to do My Thing," was inspired by Jill Scott's introduction to her poem "The Thickness" from her live album Experience: Jill Scott 826+. In this intro, she warns that the content to follow is "real" and proceeds to deliver a beautiful message about self-esteem in young black girls, what can influence and damage that self-esteem, and the entire village's responsibility--"it takes a village"--to elevate its children.

Friday, December 30, 2011

My World Has Changed: Revisiting the "About" Section

So it's been almost seven months since my last post...but I've been a little busy. See, I was preparing for, welcoming, and now taking care of the cutest kid in my world: my new daughter, "Mini Mo." I had plans--such plans!!!--for discussing the notion that black children were better off as slaves; controversies surrounding The Help, the book and the movie; the inspiring feature article on Michelle Obama in Essence's October issue; and more. But, my world was busy changing and is still in the process of doing so. And I couldn't be more excited--or scared. This child is the sweetest, smiliest (yes, I made that up), funniest little girl. She's a dream, but she's also very much real, as are the ideas that prompted me to start this blog in the first place.

Mini Mo and I during Thanksgiving weekend, 2011
I was just re-reading my "About" section here. (Feel free to do the same.) I realized that I've felt the imperative to take care of my "village" by loving my nieces and nephews, uplifting my friends and family, helping to raise my stepson (the Kid), and taking advantage of teachable moments beyond the classroom with my students. However, now that I have a daughter, her self-esteem, her body, her images, her hair, and her (future) men are now part of my world. The ideas that inspired my very first post will be tested and challenged in raising her. This is the deepest thing I'll know, apart from marriage, and that awesome task is something I'm still trying to wrap my brain around. I hear that doesn't really change...Lol.

From now on, I imagine my posts will be conceived with Mini Mo in mind, in some way, shape or form. In a way, she makes my purpose for this outlet even more real. Cheers to that. *Clink* Happy New Year, folks. I'm looking forward to this one for more reasons than I can count, but Mini Mo is at the top.

6 comments:

  1. Man this was so inspiring! Life as you know it has changed, but that isn't a complaint. I have grown into a different woman, sometimes questioning myself and wondering who I have become. The things that made me upset, caused me to cry, things I was chasing seem so insignificant now. GOD is good and I embrace the change:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, and I am with you 100%. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, my friend. Don't know what you're going through because I don't have kids, but I will listen and read with pleasure as you explore the convergence of your ideas and your new reality. <3 Happy New Year, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you more, A.Mo.! Thanks so much for preparing to dig in with me! Happy New Year, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heyyyy congrats on your little angel, it's so exciting to be a first time mom, actually it's always exciting to be a mom since each pregnancy is so different and so is each child.

    Girl your life will never never nevr be the same again in a GRAND way.

    I look forward to all your future posts because babies add so much inspiration to our lives...

    You should stop by and read my old posts under the natural pregancy label I would love your feedbacks for the old and new posts as well.
    Wish you health and Mini Mo great health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats sis! My daughter makes my world go round. Blessings to you and your princess, thanks for sharing this post.
    Peace :-)

    ReplyDelete