About this Blog

The title of this blog, "I'm About to do My Thing," was inspired by Jill Scott's introduction to her poem "The Thickness" from her live album Experience: Jill Scott 826+. In this intro, she warns that the content to follow is "real" and proceeds to deliver a beautiful message about self-esteem in young black girls, what can influence and damage that self-esteem, and the entire village's responsibility--"it takes a village"--to elevate its children.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Natural Hair Resources: A Compendium of Sorts

Hello, friends! In addition to info I provided in an earlier post, I've decided to put together a few lists of various hair products and resources based on my experiences and those of some of my friends, family, and acquaintances. Special thanks to all of you ladies who have sent me info! These lists are by no means exhaustive, but I hope they'll be helpful for those of you who may be transitioning to your natural texture, considering transitioning, or simply looking to try something different. Good luck!

Products:

  • CURLS products: I know several ladies who rave about the wonderful smell of these products, and they can be found in many Target store locations. These products are made of natural oils and other natural ingredients. Check out the link and find out if they're available in a store near you.
  • Kinky-Curly: I know addicts! Lots of ladies love, love, love KC products, and you may too. The founders of this line also pride themselves on the natural ingredients in KC products. I tried the Knot Today detangler and leave-in conditioner and found that it's an excellent detangler. I wouldn't use it alone though, which I typically like to do with a leave-in. Using it alone seemed to make my curls a little bushier, but I know some ladies who like it by itself. KC suggests using it along with its Curling Custard, which I'd rather not do. Remember, every lady's hair is different, so do what works for your hair.
  • Carol’s Daughter: Oprah has endorsed it, HSN shoppers love it, and Mary J. Blige is an official spokeswoman and even has her fragrance, My Life, presented by it. I've never tried it, but I like the fact that Lisa Price, the founder, creates all of her products using natural ingredients in her own kitchen. :-)
  • Miss Jessie’s: These products can also be found in Target stores. I have yet to try them, but I've heard lots of good things.
  • Pantene Relaxed and Natural: I've used only the PRN conditioner, and I love it. I usually comb it through my hair in the shower with a large-tooth comb and leave it in while I bathe. It leaves my hair so soft and easy to manage. I recently heard from a cousin that some of the ingredients are less than favorable, but I don't know details. I'll do some digging. Meanwhile, I really like it!
  • Shea Moisture: Another line of products found at Target, I like their natural bath soaps but have never tried their hair products. My girl Brenna swears by them though. I'm interested in trying them because shea butter really is a great moisturizer for skin and hair.
  • Black-n-Bossie: My friend Courtney told me about these products, and the prices look very reasonable.
  • Taliah Waajid: This is a well established line that even hosts "the world's largest natural hair show" each year in Atlanta. The next one will be at the Georgia International Convention Center April 30-May 1, 2011.
  • Cantu Shea Butter: I've been using the leave-in conditioning and repair cream for a few months now, and it's awesome. It's super moisturizing and very creamy. Plus, it really enhances my curls when I comb it through my hair thoroughly.
Information:

You may have noticed that most of these products are composed of natural ingredients, which is because I tend to lean more that way. Most of them avoid sulfates and parabens too. There's a lot of debate about the actual harm these ingredients can cause, so it's best to do your research and come to your own conclusions. Natural oils (like jojoba) and essential oils, which you can find in natural food stores, are also great choices for natural moisturizing. Enjoy exploring, and I hope you'll grow to appreciate what your hair is like in it's natural state. It will do it's own thing for sure, but the ways you nurture it are on you. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment