About this Blog

The title of this blog, "I'm About to do My Thing," was inspired by Jill Scott's introduction to her poem "The Thickness" from her live album Experience: Jill Scott 826+. In this intro, she warns that the content to follow is "real" and proceeds to deliver a beautiful message about self-esteem in young black girls, what can influence and damage that self-esteem, and the entire village's responsibility--"it takes a village"--to elevate its children.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Kitty in my Hair

It always starts the same: Aztec gives me the cutest, wide-mouthed meows; climbs up my chest and onto one of my shoulders; and walks around the back of my neck…to get to my hair. Sometimes, he’ll just place his head against my hair, purring and nuzzling my head. Other times, the times that make me nervous, he proceeds to paw at my hair. Aztec (a boy) is one of my two recently adopted kittens, by the way. He’s gray-tabby, spunky and precious. (See the spunk in the video below.)


My other kitty, Skye (a girl), never does this. It makes me wonder what Aztec sees when he looks at my hair. He’s obviously intrigued by it, maybe even comforted by it. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

  1. My hair is soft. If it’s all out, which is often, my hair is a big, curly cloud of softness.
  2. It’s highly textured. I imagine he sees a big mass of twists and turns…like a giant, fuzzy ball of yarn, perhaps?
Aztec, asleep in my lap
That’s all I’ve got so far. Whatever the case, he’s always trying to get to my hair. I’ve never heard of anything like this before…have you? Maybe I should just be flattered and call it a day. :-)


5 comments:

  1. When Beatrice was an itty-bitty kitten, she liked to chew on my hair. I imagined she thought it was spaghetti, the way she worked on it. Lol. But I love your options. I think animals are intrigued by what humans have/do--one of my cats growing up was obsessed by watching me put on my make-up.

    Whatever you do, enjoy these beautiful moments. They are sweet and fleeting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love your options - cats are attracted to softness and textured things, so you're probably on to something! And oh my, they are so precious! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You asked me if I ever experienced this with Soxy - No. Soxy was much too big to be crawling up my chest and such when we got her. As you know, she is MUCH too big now. She's a fatty. I agree, though, that he's probably attracted to the texture. Enjoy the love! Hopefully, he won't cause you any pain while loving on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all! I suppose I will just enjoy the love... but I'll keep putting him on the floor when he gets a little too excited. Claws on the neck - not fun. Lol.

    @ Daniel: Yes, I'll call it a day. :-)

    ReplyDelete